Who are we hiring ?
Here at Unbound we value entrepreneurial self-starters who are confident enough to challenge how we do things and promote their own ideas. We are a collaborative and inclusive organisation and are passionate about what we do and the books we make. We care a lot about providing top level publishing services and connecting creative individuals with the audiences that can bring their ideas to life. We are changing the way publishing works to make it more accessible and we’re proud of that.
Who are we looking for:
- Self Starters
- Team Players
- Decisions Makers
- Hard Workers
- Passionate Readers
- Mucker Inners
We are looking for people from all walks of life who are ready to rise to the challenge of changing the face of publishing with us. The culture here is one that supports fun, creativity, honesty, flexibility, respect and a strong appreciation for a healthy work life balance.
If the above sounds like you please get in touch through firstname.lastname@example.org. Our current vacancies are listed below but even if there’s no obvious role listed we’re always looking for excellent new talent so feel free to introduce yourself and let us know what you're looking for. We’d love to hear from you...
Data Science / Data Engineer
Are you passionate about books, love working with large data sets, have experience in statistical analysis, advanced modeling techniques and data mining?
Well, Unbound could be for you. We are using machine learning to bring authors and readers closer together and need ambitious, professional self starters to join our data science team.
We are looking for someone with:
- 2+ years of experience on applied machine learning using common tools e.g. Scikit-learn, Spicy, TensorFlow, Keras on building predictive models based on unstructured data.
- An MS or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or a related field.
- Experience in command line usage, e.g., Bash, SQL
- Confident at using GitHub
- Strong python programming skills, e.g.:
- comfortable with importing and creating well documented packages
- comfortable with using virtual environments (e.g using conda)
- comfortable with using jupyter to write well annotated data science notebooks
- sharp at scraping web techniques (e.g using public APIs and beautifulsoup)
- Proven experience in building recommendation engines
- Deployment of projects end-to-end
- Ideally, experience with graph databases
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems
- Very good at communicating new ideas to audiences of varying levels of technical knowledge.
The exact size and shape of the role will be largely defined by you. What we can guarantee is that your responsibilities will be broad and varied with the work very much hands-on.
We offer a flexible scheme of working hours and you will surrounded by books and creative, fun people. Remuneration will be commensurate with relevant experience. The role will be based in our canalside offices in London.
If you want to apply, please send a cover letter and C.V. to the Head of Data Science email@example.com with the subject line: 'Data Science/Data Engineer'.
Digital Marketing Manager - 1 Year Fixed Term, London, Salary Based on Experience
Unbound is recruiting an experienced, data-driven Digital Marketing Manager to join the team initially on a 1-year fixed term contract.
The right person will report directly to the CEO and contribute to the development of their colleagues through collaboration and mentoring.
Purpose and scope of the job
You'll assist Senior Management team on the organisation’s future digital strategy and develop and deliver client-led digital solutions to generate revenue and drive customer (subscriber) growth and engagement. You’ll use your insight and experience, combined with quantitative and qualitative data, to identify emerging channels for new author acquisitions and increased website traffic.
You’ll analyse and report on website visitor data and devise new ways to market products. You’ll work with the UX, product and social media managers closely to understand our audience, improve the customer journey and drive customer retention.
The role will additionally involve working closely with the Design, Publicity, Social Media and Crowdfunding teams in developing the brand, corporate marketing strategies and creating high value assets to help our authors.
This role would suit someone who wants to fully immerse themselves in this growing business. You will be the primary marketing person and will be expected to get your hands dirty, in orchestrating, testing, delivering and regularly reporting on the performance of marketing initiatives.
- Devise strategies to drive online traffic to Unbound products
- Act as a gateway for data to flow through the company, report on user and other key data metrics
- Act as a mentor to the Crowdfunding campaigns manager
- Develop and manage digital marketing campaigns, both seasonal and ad hoc
- Contribute to the social media strategy for the company
- Develop online brand and product campaigns to drive growth
- Work with the product team to improve usability, design and content on the site to increase the conversion rate and increase average revenue spend per user
- Evaluate customer research and market conditions
- Review new technologies and keep the company at the forefront of developments in digital marketing
- Assist the development of customer (author) tools and resources i.e. marketing advice, tips, easy wins etc.
- Strategise with other customer facing departmentents to align the style of messaging and tone that go out and define the brand
- Work across Unbound’s product suite (transactional, editorial, podcasts) to improve KPIs through content marketing
Experience, Skills and Personable Attributes required:
- 5+ years in a digital marketing manager (or similar) role
- Proven strong understanding of modern tools and techniques of digital marketing
- Thrive working in a buzzy, dynamic, and sometimes pressurised environment
- Good understanding of Google Analytics and other data collection and analysis technologies
- Experience of leading growth-hacking initiatives
- Proven track record of customer acquisition and conversion strategies
- Experience of B2C campaigns
- Demonstrable experience of senior stakeholder engagement
- Results driven, able to demonstrate ROI
- Highly analytical with a passion for data driven insight
- Excellent communicator both verbally and a talent of presenting complex data in an effective and digestive way to stakeholders at different levels
- A record of and passion for mentoring and team leadership
- Understanding of how to extract data from relational databases (i.e. SQL), including data which spans multiple tables
Nice to Haves:
- An interest in crowdfunding and the motivations pushing people to pledge
- A love of books
- Some experience with Python/R, in both the context of creating automation and using for data analysis and visualization
- A competitive salary, dependant on experience
- Genuine work / life balance
- Free fruit, yoga classes and access to Perkbox
- Flexible working hours and work from home policy
- Use of a MacBook Pro or Air
- A bright and fun canalside workplace near Old St
Lead Developer - Full Stack, London
Unbound is recruiting for a senior full stack developer to lead our London engineering team and directly support the CTO.
We’re seeking someone who loves working collaboratively with other developers to bring innovative solutions that meet customers’ needs.
Ruby on Rails, Python, CSS, React, JQuery, MySQL. Knowledge of other databases, languages and libraries is a plus - as is Linux and systems expertise.
Some other technologies we use: SASS/SCSS, Twitter Bootstrap, Google Analytics, Heap Analytics, Mailchimp/Mandrill.
Skills & Requirements
- Minimum seven years experience of professional software engineering
- Experience of scaling and innovating on a Ruby On Rails web application with MySQL
- Full stack down to OS, infrastructure, DevOps, and systems integration
- Experience of leading a team and developing others’ skills
- Team spirit and eagerness to communicate with other stakeholders outside of the scrum team
- Interest in machine learning, data science and automation (experience a plus, but not essential)
- You have a passion for high quality and obsessive attention to detail
You will be:
- Working in a close-knit scrum team to iterate and maintain our web applications and internal systems
- Deputising for the CTO within our London office, leading our London-based developers and assisting with their professional development
- Contributing to strategic decisioning around the tech stack
- Working with our in-house data science team to make our algorithms accessible to business users and reveal strategic insights
- Taking active part in the product discovery process
- Based in London, but occasional travel to work with our Dublin office
About the team
We’re a small but productive and growing team split between London and Dublin who care deeply about Unbound’s mission.
We employ modern software practices, including Agile development, lean product management, pair programming, continuous integration, automated testing and deployments. We believe in simple, maintainable, clean code.
Our team members:
- Enjoy genuine work / life balance, with flexible working patterns, including locations and time
- Choose the way they work and the technology they work with
- Are given a license to explore their ideas and develop their skills
Please apply with Full Stack Developer as your subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.