Fancy working at Unbound? Great. We’re always on the lookout for new talent.
People from all walks of life that’ll rise to any challenge and, like us, see every project as an opportunity to do something great. Entrepreneurial self-starters who are going to challenge us, and are confident enough to fight for their ideas. But who love to collaborate and make every book we produce the best yet.
If this sounds like you, here’s a list of qualities we look for in every potential Unbounder.
- Whichever department you work in, you need to be creative.
- You need to be passionate.
- You need to be hardworking and like mucking in.
- You should bring something unique to our culture.
- And you probably need to like books.
Editor (maternity cover)
We are looking for an energetic project editor with three years’ proven trade editorial experience to project manage from delivery to publication a selection of Unbound’s exciting and wide-ranging list of fiction, non-fiction and illustrated titles.
Core responsibilities include:
- Project managing multiple and varied titles to the highest editorial standards, keeping to critical path and budget
- Taking the lead on author communications throughout the editorial and production processes
- Liaison with in-house departments to ensure production schedule, cover design, promotional materials are all to critical path
- Commissioning and liaising with freelance structural editors, copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers, choosing the best team for the job, monitoring standards and keeping to budget
- Managing proof collation and the entire corrections process accurately and efficiently
- Commissioning, designing and managing the production of illus. sections, maps, picture and text permissions, libel readings and other approval processes as necessary
- Three years’ proven trade editorial experience
- Excellent proofreading and copyediting skills
- Excellent copywriting skills
- Highly organised with an ability to set priorities within a busy workload
- Enthusiasm for innovation and meeting new challenges
- Working knowledge of Bibliocloud an advantage
We are a small but growing team and this role offers an opportunity to develop editorial skills across a wonderfully varied list, and to learn about Unbound’s unique publishing model.
Deadline for applications is 6 July 2018.
Please apply by emailing CV and covering letter, citing EDITOR in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to top
(1 year contract, with a view to perm)
We’re looking for an experienced Product Manager to join us as soon as possible. The role will be initially for a 1 year maternity cover contract, but has the potential to become permanent depending on the needs of the business.
Reporting to the CEO, the role sits in our multidisciplinary product team, although you will work closely with every department of the business.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Understanding Unbound’s unique business strategy and delivering products and improvements that help us achieve our goals.
- Managing the product development process across all aspects of the business, spanning consumer facing platform improvements, revenue generating initiatives, developing internal tools and data science projects.
- Gathering detailed product requirements from users and internal stakeholders, detailing user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Managing long and short term roadmaps and prioritising issues depending on business needs, so the product team is always working on the most impactful projects.
- Working closely with our product designer to develop user flows, iterate on UX/UI designs and help run user testing sessions to ensure what we’re building is fit for purpose.
- Working closely with the CTO and developers during the build process to ensure requirements are understood.
- Running sprint review and sprint planning meetings with our product team.
- Helping diagnose and solve potential bugs, before escalating to the development team.
- Helping team members with simple data queries (e.g. Google Analytics)
- 3+ years of product management, preferably in a fast paced, high growth startup environment.
- Excellent communication skills, senior stakeholder engagement, communicating priorities and managing expectations.
- You’re motivated, self driven and enthusiastic about solving problems.
- Experience working with both qualitative customer insights, and quantitative customer data to inform decisions. You’ve conducted user research, a/b tests and have run user testing sessions.
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary, agile development team.
- Solid understanding of web analytics packages (for example Google Analytics, Heap Analytics).
Nice to Haves
- Experience of customer platforms (like Intercom).
- Data visualisation expertise
- Ability to write SQL
- Interest and experience in data science projects
About the team
We’re a small but productive and growing team split between London and Dublin who care deeply about Unbound’s mission.
Our process is agile, working in sprints. We’re constantly looking for ways to improve our workflow, and you would be part of that too.
- Genuine work / life balance.
- Free fruit, yoga classes and access to Perkbox.
- Flexible working hours and work from home policy.
- A professional development fund (for conferences, courses…).
- A MacBook Pro or Air.
- A bright and fun canalside workplace near Old St.
Please apply with Product Manager in the subject line to email@example.com.
Return to top
Rails Developer—Dublin, Ireland
As part of our growth plan, we’re seeking to enhance our application in order to improve its effectiveness, usability and scalability.
We are looking for an experienced Rails developer to work in our Dublin office.
We are looking for the right person rather than someone with a prescriptive set of skills. If:
- you enjoy and excel in developing high quality, testable, maintainable code
- you are diligent and self-motivated
- you keenly follow advances in web tech
- you care about business goals, and enjoy coming up with novel solutions to achieve them
- you are interested or have experience in the publishing industry
- you enjoy working in a team, with people of varying disciplines
- you contribute code to open-source projects
... then you're quite likely to fit the bill.
In order to hit the ground running you should be proficient in the following:
- Developing usable, secure, scalable web applications
- Ruby & Ruby on Rails
- Integrating with third party services - E.g. databases, CDN, search, analytics, media codecs, email, CRM, etc
- Test-driven development using RSpec or similar
- Relational databases
By “proficient” we mean at least three years demonstrable experience, ideally in a commercial setting.
Our stack includes the following technologies. Experience with these will be looked on favourably:
- Rackspace cloud, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Mailchimp, Mandrill
- Ubuntu Linux, MySQL
- Twitter Bootstrap, Backbone, jQuery, JWPlayer
- Stripe, Paypal, BitPay
- Lucene, SOLR, WebSOLR
- Git/Github, Capistrano, RSpec, Pivotal Tracker
- Mixpanel, Google Analytics
The exact size and shape of the role will be largely be defined by you. What we can guarantee is that your responsibilities will be broad and varied with the work very much hands-on.
Remuneration will be commensurate with relevant experience.
If you want to apply, please send a cover letter and C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Rails developer.
The Unbound Team.
P.S. Principals only. No recruiters please.
Return to top