Saturday, 26 October 2019
Great news! REALLY great news!
Dear friends and supporters,
It's not Friday, but never mind - no day is too soon for this. Tonight (Saturday 26 October) IMMORTAL hit and surpassed its funding target. Yes, we are at 100%+ and I am absolutely over the moon. I can't thank you enough for helping to make this dream book into reality.
FIVE THINGS YOU MAYBE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IMMORTAL:
1. Unbound usually gives us a 90 day timeframe for the crowdfunding, which we can then ask to extend if we want to persist. Today was Day 89.
2. Even though the book is fully funded, it's still very much open for pledges: this can continue until the book (and its list of patrons) are nearly ready to go to print. That won't happen for a bit, as I'm still busy writing, so do please keep spreading the news if you can. The more, the merrier.
3. Now that the funding is in place, all I have to do is finish the writing (...) and we can then set about getting the book published in time for the 250th anniversary next year. At least this is now entirely down to my actual writing, and not a matter of biting my nails and writing frantic tweets and emails.
4. There are some IMMORTAL concerts on the way next year, as far afield as the Lake District and Australia. More details as soon as they are official. If you would like a private performance, to be given by Viv McLean (piano) and me (narrating) the pledge level for this is still open, too.
5. The book is going to be a bit bigger than I'd originally planned. You may be able to use it as a draught excluder.
And now - well, tomorrow - I can head for Vienna secure in the knowledge that this book really is going to happen. It's not only a research trip; it's a celebration! I'm planning to see the various Beethoven museums (Heiligenstadt and the Pasqualati House), the Hofburg, the Theatre Museum (formerly Prince Lobkowitz's palace and the site of the Eroica's premiere), as many other palaces as we can squeeze in, Schönnbrunn and the suburb of Hietzing - and much more.
The big relief is that I don't have to worry any more that nobody is going to want this book. It's clear that you do! And that will make me redouble my efforts. The Friday updates will continue: I really hope you'll want to keep being involved in this IMMORTAL family that we are building here. Next week's might be on Saturday after I get back.
Thank you a hundred million times, and see you soon.
Love and best wishes,