Wednesday, 30 October 2013
Georgian Hallowe'en Quiz Questions
Can you guess all of the answers to my quiz? Be one of the first three people to enter correctly in the comments below and you could win a copy of the Gin Lane Gazette.
1. Which ghost-busting man of letters investigated the fraudulent ghost ‘Scratching Fanny of Cock Lane’ in 1762?
A. Dr. Samuel Johnson
2. What was the name of the Druid who built a spooky stone circle on Primrose Hill in 1792?
A. Edward Williams
3. Which satirist’s heart was buried in an urn in the mausoleum at West Wycombe in 1775?
A. Paul Whitehead’s
4. Who was the dentist who embalmed his dead wife, and displayed her in his shop window in 1775?
A. Martin van Butchell
5. Which Stevenage man eluded body snatchers by having his corpse laid to rest on the beams in a roof space in 1724?
A. Henry Trigg
6. Which member of the aristocracy is said to have been attacked by a baboon dressed as the Devil in the 1760s?
A. The Earl of Sandwich
7. Who was tortured with red-hot pincers, dismembered by cart-horses, and burnt at the stake for trying to murder Louis XV?
A. Robert-Francois Damiens