Please forgive the overdramatic headline.
I’m going to cut to the chase on this one: I’m imposing a deadline to get Bobby Denise funded. It's not a decision I've taken lightly, so let's get into it!
Why are you doing that?
There are three reasons:
- Because we’re CLOSE. 68%. I mean, that’s not far to go, is it? If you want the monetary specifics, that’s about £1,200 or so which, when you think about it, isn’t THAT much.
- Because I have recently taken on another non-fiction (and non-crowdfunded) book project and, to be completely honest, my brain will not allow these two things to happen simultaneously lest it falls out my bum.
- Because I want you all to read it. This is the most important reason to get it funded. Once we’re funded, the whole editing/publishing/crying process can begin and you’ll have an actual book to read and enjoy. I can’t stress this enough - I really do want you all to read this book. The nature of crowdfunding it into existence means that so much time is spent talking around the book rather than about it, crapping on about money and pledges and pre-orders and marketing, when what really, really matters is getting the thing made so you can read it. The sooner that happens, the better, right?
What is the deadline?
- It’s April 30th 2018, so about six weeks away. I'll be making noises about it elsewhere on social media in due course.
What can I do about it?
- Same as you’ve always done, really - mention it to people, and tell them it’s happening. If you’re having a conversation about books, what you’ve read recently and what you’re reading next, then just subtly drop it in (lower your voice to a conspiratorial whisper if it helps to build drama).
- Give… more? Ha, I know, big ask. Some of you wonderful pledgers have already upgraded your pledging level - so if you’re on scabby old digital and are craving the sweet tactility of paperback, it can happen. Similarly, if you feel a mere paperback isn’t succour enough, you can chuck in a few extra quid to get yourself a cassette mixtape curated and annotated by a fictional magician. I mean, it doesn’t really get better than that, does it?
- Yes! I went on another lovely podcast the other week to talk about Bobby and crowdfunding. It’s here if you want to listen. We talked about the best fictional cats in history.
Thanks all for your stiff and beautiful support so far: it means an awful lot. I’m hoping that this final push will mean that, before long, we can all bathe in the knowledge that we’ve helped a book into life and, if I’m not being too lofty about it, done A Nice Thing in the name of creativity. Without you, this book wouldn’t stand a chance of existing, so this is very much your achievement. And y'know, your fault too, if it's awful.
You can help make this book happen. Please share it, and encourage your followers to share it, too.
Join 122 other awesome people who subscribe to new posts on this blog.