Yes, I do actually speak like that, it is not an affectation :)
The last few days have been a whirl of email pleas, twitter posts, phone numbers and blagging.
Promotion, marketing, and selling are a demon triptych for most writers. Most of us are introverts who tend to surround ourselves with ... as little as possible. Writing is a solitary game although those of us with young families learnt the beauty of ear plugs early on.
I think there is a common misconception that introverts are moody and withdrawn. That makes us sound so negative! Try mercurial and internal :)
I've listed a few things to navigate the curious path to friendship with an introvert.
The List (whispered quietly)
!) Never turn up announced to an introvert's house, however 'fun' and 'social' it may be to you. We probably won't answer the door. Actually, prefering to cower behind furniture and tip-toe around to avoid detection.
2) If you see us under the table with the pets at a party the best policy is to ignore us. The music is probably too loud and we will be using the purr's and snoring to drown out the screaming in our heads.
3) Parties are hard. We may be *in* the mood all day, right up until we stand at your front door only to retreat back home whimpering.
4) When we become silent it's not because we are plotting your death in a thousand ways (that will be your cat) we are thinking about something you have said or something we want to say, or how lovely bees look dancing on lavender buds.
5) Slayer and Metal Machine Music will send us twitching to the hills.
6) You'd think Flotariums. But no. Just no.
7) We tend to babble when nervous. Then we realise we are babbling and everything takes on a more hysterical guise. Smile comfortingly and fill up the glass that is now empty. Because of the babbling.
8) Some of us heal in the light and some of us heal in the dark. Under the bed covers. With a book. And chocolate. Possibly a Beagle.
9) Pyjamas. Because.Yes.
10) Books. Always.
Thank you again so much for your pledges. It is so exciting and I'm so grateful and if you haven't then please consider pledging. Name in book!! Just one of the *exciting* rewards for pledges.
Join 144 other awesome people who subscribe to new posts on this blog.