By Miranda Roszkowski
100 years after getting the Vote, 100 female writers share their story
Tuesday, 22 December 2020
Hello 2021! 100 Voices end of year thank you and Happy Holidays!
Dear supporters, we are nearly there, just 8 copies from 90%!
This one is to say a huge THANK YOU for all of your help, patience and amazing cheer during this strange old year. I hope wherever you are you are healthy and are able to get a break this Christmas.
I know for many it will have been a year to forget, but I wanted to give a quick run down of the year for 100 Voices to share some of the brilliant events and progress you've helped us to achieve this year.
- We are now only a handful of copies from 90% funded!
- We started the year at around 55% funded and by International Womens's Day - celebrating our 1 year since we launched the project - things were picking up. Then the world changed. And then, we really needed to get creative.
- We took part in the stunning Stay-At-Home Festival at the beginning of April organised by CJ Cooke (our session was just before Maggie O'Farrell's book launch, no big deal!!) Alongside internationally acclaimed authors in the programme, our 100 Voices readers Susmita Bhattacharya, Sallyanne Rock and Joanna Howard captivated us with their readings and interviews.
- By May we had almost worked out zoom and held our very own supporter-only Feminist Houseparty with book subscription service and all round goodies Women Writers. It felt important to celebrate the good stuff, and with more readings and fun from our authors Usha Rowan, Miranda Keeling, Jude Higgins, and Susmita stepping in again, it was a joy. We had Sophie Haydock appear fresh from the announcement her book The Flames had been bought in a 6 figure headline grabbing sale, and a cameo from Yvonne Battle-Felton who would shortly be announced as the judge of the prestigious Jhalak Prize having been shortlisted for the prize herself this year.
- We also had hopeful, difficult conversations following the killing of George Floyd, when we spoke to Lucy Zion and later Emma Halliday on Insta Live, thanks so much to both of you for talking to us, sharing your work and all the resilience and inspiration your fuelled us with. The videos are still on our Instagram feed and well worth checking out @100voices100years
- In July we hit 70% funded - the week I got engaged! And over the hot summer we held another Insta Live with Amie Taylor and gained more supporters. Amy Foster, Vanessa Hammick and I were interviewed by fellow 100 Voices writers at The Croydonist and I joined Louise Houghton on her Insta channel, for a change, to share our project with an international audience. Scary but cool.
- In October, as the nights were drawing in, and the restrictions too, we went big with our Lockdown Lift Up. Hosted by Ada Campe and attended by over 50 people it was a night of hilarity. It also helped to lift our crowdfunding along with raising spirits. We were at 80%!
- And in December we were treated to magical performances by 100 Voices contributors Amie Taylor, Miranda Keeling, Reshma Ruia and Vanessa Hammick who, with Dame Margie Poops and her shotgun bingo made our Not-The-Christmas Party a night to remember. Meanwhile 100 Voices flash fiction writer Emily Devane's workshop fundraiser for the project sold out - twice! Which means we're inches away from 90% and less than 80 copies from the end.
So now, we're very close to the finish line to be FULLY FUNDED. Please do tell your friends and family about us. There's 10% off this month with ALMOSTDEC10 (enter at checkout) and remember our cool voucher that you can send as a gift if people want something under the "tree".
Everyone has high hopes for 2020, and our first wish is that we get a vaccine for everyone and we can go back to seeing friends and family. But wouldn't it also be brilliant to get 100 Voices published, so by next Christmas you could be leafing through pages of amazing writing, and when you get to the back page, see your name there.
We couldn't do it without you. Thank you thank you.
With the very best of wishes for the holidays from me and all 100 of us,